Saturday, September 5, 2009

Just the Way I AM

I may be wrong, but people seem to be getting more tolerant. It is as though in the name of political correctness, we have confused what is acceptable and what is not. My observation is based on the growing number of times I hear people say, Thats just the way I am. Or, Thats just how she/he is. It is as though saying someones this or that way makes they way they are ok. Well, I dont think so. Sometimes the way someone is is not ok. It can be wrong, rude, inappropriate, overly demanding, inconsiderate or a variety of other not ok stuff. When that happens, I dont think saying, that just how they are makes the behavior acceptable.

There is a difference between accepting someone as they are and being victimized by them. We need people in our life who accept us just as we are -- warts and all. Yet, that doesnt mean we need to bless them in their illness or let off the hook for becoming the best that they can be. People who accept me "just as I am," are those who have most likely earned the right to share with me where I need to change, grow or adjust.

Life is a balancing act between becoming and being. When am I an unfinished work in progress and when am I done?

Three questions provide the answer: 1 - Is my behavior hurting me? 2 Is my behavior hurting another? 3 Is my behavior keeping me from being all I am meant to be? If the answer is yes to any of the three, then I work on changing. If not, then its just the way I am.

Jim Gustafson was born in Chicago. He received his Masters Degree from Garrett Theological Seminary. An Ordained United Methodist Minister, he has served as a pastor and counselor. He has more than 20 years of broadcast management experience. His book Take Fun Seriously is sooned to be released. Jim live in Florida where he works, writes, plays golf and pulls weeds.

No comments: